Friday, October 17, 2008

Madgeconomics: Take Three

My third approach to explaining the financial crisis, of which I am completely ignorant and completely unqualified to discuss, will be stream-of-consciousness blabbering about my economic questions and where I go for answers.

I shall begin...

Ohhhh Economy! What even ARE you? I must wiki you. brb.

okay- back. You are "the realized social system of production, exchange, distribution, and consumption of goods and services of a country or other area" and right now, you're lacking in the "exchange" portion of your duties. How will this effect your production, distribution and consumption? Me thinks it slows them down as well.

And how about you, Government? Where do you stand on this issue? People say you didn't do enough to help the Economy. Better late than never though, right? BUT DON'T HELP TOO MUCH. Because the Economy doesn't want help from the likes of YOU. Just a little bit of help is good though- then back off! This guy thinks you're help is really a hinderence. This guy thinks your help is overdue and much needed. Both guys seem pretty smart. Who's right?

The only thing to do is wait ten years and read a US history textbook to find out. Textbooks do a good job of explaining really complex events in history in one small paragraph. Even though this oversimplification is almost always detrimental to education, I could use some vast generalizations right now. I am reading a book called "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and it talks about how often textbooks get it wrong- or more just how they don't get it right. At this point, I don't care if it's wrong- I just want clarity!! Jusssssst kidding. The truth is important. I shall continue to seek the truth. blah blah blah. Go journalism!

At least I'm not the only person confused by all this. I don't think Obama and McCain really understand it either. Hopefully Obama has economist friends to help him when he becomes president. 

My economic advisors have been the Planet Money podcast, Max, and any newspaper I decide to google depending on my mood. According to the Cyprus Weekly, Cyprus is immune to the whole financial crisis! That settles it- I'm going back. 

I'll just wait-out the recession in grad school. Jobs shmobs, 
madge

2 comments:

Emily said...

I was going to rage OUT, good thing you slipped my name in last thing!

AJK said...

does your book talk at all about Thanksgiving . . . . everyone sitting down together to feast on corn and turkey?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...