Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The official 'You Know You've Made It' checklist

Where were you when you first heard your band's song playing on the radio?

I was in a malt shop just outside of Tucson. I still remember the waitress tapping her toes on the linoleum.

OK, I kid. But how about metaphorically speaking? When did you know you'd 'made it'?




I actually haven't 'made it' yet. There are still a few milestones I need to reach.

But here's the official criteria:

  • You buy name-brand laundry detergent (e.g Tide). Bonus points for fabric softener.
  • You sleep on a mattress that you bought yourself.
  • People stop to ask you for directions because you look smart, friendly and respectable.
  • In negotiations, you say "no" with the genuine intention of walking away from the deal.
  • You own multiple blouses. 
  • You listen to multiple podcasts.
  • You enjoy multiple Thai dishes (not just Pad Thai). 
  • You booked your next haircut appointment whilst paying for your last one.
  • Matching socks. Every day. Even on weekends. 
  • There are at least four champagne flutes somewhere in your home right now.

I'm about 65% there. I've got the blouses, but not the mattress. It's good to have goals. 

I asked Andy what he would add to the list and he said "you make money from other people's work". That's a good one, but it didn't match the quirkiness level of the others, so I left it off. 

I Google Image searched 'smug' and this smug man appeared.

Image by Stefanie Schwartz via Wikimedia Commons

What about you? Have you 'made it'?

Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...