Sunday, February 15, 2015

Does it stay or does it go?

I'm moving to Seattle in a month. A MONTH.

My visa's up, and it's time for Andy to experience a country where the mailman doesn't just drop off incoming post, but takes your outgoing mail too. Get ready, Ram. Conveniences like that are just the tip of the iceberg.

I  have only four weekends left, and I expect most of those to be filled with surprise goodbye parties. So, I figured it would behoove me to start the packing process today.

According to my calculations, 80% of what I own has to go. Great! I love a good declutter sesh. I'm very excited about giving my ancient sock collection the heave-ho and starting anew.

Still, saying goodbye to some items was difficult.


DOES IT STAY or does it GO ?


Beige pencil skirt


Ha! This lil' number may have gotten me a few office gigs in the past, but my corporate days are over. I won't need this while I type my novel in my houseboat. It GOES.


Spokane Chiefs hockey jersey


Give THIS away? Heck no. I won it fair and square by tricycling down the ice at halftime and beating two other hockey fans to the finish line. Yes, I've been waiting my whole life for the right occasion to wear it, but that day will come. It STAYS.


Moccasins


I'm moving back to the west coast of America—land of the laid back and carefree. It would seem wrong not to take my most laid back, carefree footwear. They STAY.


"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson


Firstly, an actual book? I don't need those heavy, spacehogs anymore. I have a kindle now. Secondly, the guy who wrote this turned out to have the ol' Brian Williams/Mike Daisey disease. Don't even know why this paperback of lies is still on my bookshelf. It definitely GOES.


Dusty Chacos


Yes! I must keep these. Haven't worn them in five years, but I'm going to get massively into hiking once I'm back. I'll need them. They STAY.


Tie-Dye Shirt


Francie and I each bought a tie-dye shirt at the Folk Life Festival in 2002. I still have mine. It's come in handy for a few 70s-theme parties, but I think it's time I lay it to rest. I'm 28 now. Also, it smells really musty. With a heavy heart, it GOES.


Hundreds of 'Margaret Kay Content' business cards


Sad to throw all these away, but it's time for some new partnerships and some re-branding. Plus, I forgot to put my email address on them. Not a ringing endorsement of my copywriting skills. 
They GO. 



To play us out, in honour of everything that didn't make the cut, here's Andre:



Cheers, 
Margaret

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Margaret, I am so excited you'll be back here in the Northwest. Madgespace - a clever riff on things wacky, human and true. Thank you.

grassyllama said...

Why Thank you kind stranger! I can't wait to be back.

Who are you?

Unknown said...

I am Babs Paddog of Edmond, the entire clan reads your always engaging, funny posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...