Tuesday, February 17, 2015

HTM-Hell

Oh god. Oh god! Noooo! What happened to my day!?

I'm building a website on Squarespace for a new business venture that you will hear more about very soon.

Just as the ads on This American Life say, Squarespace allows you to create "a professional looking website in minutes" with their handy "drag and drop tools". However, if you want the site to be exactly to your specifications, you need to customise the code.

Do I know how to write CSS? No.

But do I try anyway? Yes.

I sit in a chair and troubleshoot for hours. Google search after determined Google search. Trial, error. Trial, error. Trial, error. It's endless. But I NEVER give up.

Today I spent approximately four hours trying to make one of the headers white. FOUR!

I had to do it. All of the headers were blue and I wanted one to be white. I needed it to be white. So I guessed and checked different pieces of code until finally one worked. It was light out when I started and dark as raven's blood when I finished.

Image by Trance-Plant via Deviant Art

Now it's nearly bedtime and I'm struggling to write a sentence. I spent the entire day in a trance and haven't fully emerged out of it. This has happened to me before. I inherited it from my Dad who will head down to the basement to make an iMovie and not return for weeks.

After a session like this I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I am angry that so many hours of pure concentration added up to so little. On the other hand, I am elated that I made the header turn white.

Time to rest,
Margaret

P.S. Andy came up with the title for this post. He's a whiz with puns. I was working with CSS, not HTML, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...