Sunday, November 2, 2008

Explorers of Various Frontiers


Halloween was a spectacular spectacle as expected. 

If I had to boil it down to a theme, I'd say it was "Explorers/Pioneers" because beyond even the obvious (Lewis and Clark) there were many different costumes of various pioneers throughout time. 

Isabel was an astronaut (Explorer of SPACE)

Barbie was Barbie, Alison was Rosie the Riveter, Clare was Sacajawea (all Womans-rights Pioneers)

Meghan was a bubble bath (Pioneer of polio-treatment....trust me, I read it in a book)

 
Meghan's basement was the BEST place for a halloween party. She decorated it with black lights, cobwebs and many a plastic pumpkin filled with candy. 

I love Halloween because everyone puts in SUCH a big effort- and it really pays off! Sometimes I think people are so set on being grown up that they forget how to be creative. But Halloween proves me wrong- I only wish people were this un-boring all year!

My favorite part of the night was my involvement in a random, spur-of-the-moment dance party with Martha, her friend Michelle and their cronies. It happened after I miraculously FOUND Martha, aka my dear counter-part Merriwether, from whom I'd been briefly separated. The reunion was joyous, and the expedition was refueled by some much-needed dancing to one of my fave euro-dance hits "Destination Unknown". Ridiculous!

Last night Martha and I wanted to "get away from it all- leave the hustle and bustle of the city for some much-needed peace and quiet" and so we went to Couer De' Alene (I DOUBT that's how it's spelled but I do not have the energy to google it). After quickly agreeing not to waste the money and calories on dinner, we went to a gas station to get a snack. We settled on a root beer (mar) and a tea (me) after MUCH deliberation. The indecisiveness was so abundant you would have thought we were in Blockbuster (I always wander the aisles there for about an hour before settling on "Center Stage"). Then we hood-ratted it up and sat on the dock with our beverages, playing the cliff-game as rain delicately fell on the lake. 

I have two papers to write. I am half-way though one and 1/6 of the way through the other. I'm considering setting my alarm and finishing them both during the wee hours dawn. I work best under pressure anyway, and my stomach is being weird right now, and I want to work on my Edinburgh app, and there's probably other stuff too that I just can't think of. 

November is always an awesome month, 

Madge


3 comments:

EMAR said...

ahhhh, couer d'alene. I take french and I am not even sure how to spell it...i know it translates as heart of the ax. Anyway, you came up with IMPOSSIBLE cliff game proposals-crush, b-ball player and you know who??? How in the HELL is a girl supposed to answer that?

Unknown said...

very, very impressed by all the costumes! you guys really outdid yourselves!

AJK said...

it is great to see the effort everyone puts in- costume parties rule.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...