Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Knorks, Forks and Stedman?- is that you?!?!

A couple weeks ago Anna sent me the link to the knork website. Just as the spork represents a combination of a spoon and a fork, the knork is a knife/fork collaboration. I want one. Especially since I haven't used a knife since the late 90s (When I stopped eating meat. Also when I realized I could just spread butter on toast with my finger)- nope, I only need a fork, turned on its side and wiggled back and forth vigorously until the food is adequately separated into bite-sized pieces. In Europe, the knork may not sell well. Those euros approach their plate as if they were knitting a sweater- with a knife in the left hand and a fork in the right. Us Americans, though, often neglect the knife completely. It is more of a place-setting decoration, simply there to complete the "plate/knife/fork/spoon/napkin" image but remaining untouched until it is loaded into the dishwasher, clean and unused. 

The reason I was reminded of the knork in the first place is because I am reading "Twilight" which takes place in Forks, Washington. I cannot get over how insane it is that Forks is the setting of these (FANTASTIC) books. It's definitely exciting to see Washington State get some much needed publicity, but it's even more exciting because of my personal connection with Forks. Here goes it: So, in eighth grade my friend Dana wanted to make her ex-boyfriend jealous. We invented a new, fake, shawn-from-Boy-Meets-World-lookalike, boyfriend for her to be in a long-distance relationship with. We made him a blog (or "online diaries" as they were then called) at diary-x.com (which may have even pre-dated "live journal"). After deciding on his hobbies, interests, appearance and car, we picked a location- FORKS, WA!!! His website was titled "stuckinforks.diary-x.com". If diary-x.com was still around I could totally sell that domain name for millions!!!! 

When I was working out today I saw Stedman (Oprah's bf) on CNN with the caption "Attorney General?" underneath him. I thought to myself, "NO WAY! Obama is picking Stedman Graham as his attorney general!?!?!". But then I saw that it wasn't Stedman, but a man named Eric Holder who just happens to look exactly like him. 



I'm almost done with Twilight. It's exciting to be enveloped in a teen book series phenomenon again. Reminds me of my youth. 

Vampires, 

Madge

7 comments:

EMAR said...

Vampires indeed. I am so glad I can take credit (partial?) for making you read the those books.

Emily said...

I can not believe that you haven't read twilight yet??!?!! So glad you are hooked, let's go to Forks for the movie!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm also glad you're reading. I also can't believe you didn't in Cyprus. Lis and I devoured them!!

AJK said...

he looks EXACTLY like Steadman!!!! Wowza!

Unknown said...

how could i have not have even heard of these books??? is it being in euro or getting old? boooo

Abby said...

I am also reading Twilight. It is amazing. Why is Edward so appealing?

Christina Padden said...

I'm almost done with the 4th book. I just saw the movie today and it was AMAZING!!! Edward is SOO beautiful and perfect. Char, you need to hope on the band wagon, immediately. I'll definitely be ready for a second viewing at Thanksgiving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...