Thursday, March 5, 2015

Things our kids won't have to deal with

Here we go, here we go, here we go again! Another guest blog post for your reading pleasure, and tonight it's from Kenmore's resident kidney expert, Francie Louise Fitzpatrick!!!



Things our kids won't have to deal with


1. Passwords. By the time our kiddos are grown, all logins will require face recognition or a fingerprint for access. No more forgetting and having to reset that dang Apple ID password.

2. Driving their own car. What a treat it’ll be to sit back, nap and arrive at a destination refreshed and ready to go.

3. The Internet cutting out or going slow. Why oh why do I still have to hold the reset button down on our modem/router every few months? This is unacceptable.

4. Cable TV. OK, I know people are already cutting this out of their lives, but what about live sports? How do you do that? I can’t live without access to Zag/Mariners’ games!

5. Laundry. Fingers crossed for this one, as I haven't quite figured out how it’s going to work. Perhaps everyone will have their own robot who will wash/dry/fold laundry?


Image by amboo who? via Flickr

6. Phone calls. This is particularly exciting when you think our kids won't have to allot the 20 minutes I just spent booking in our car for a service, calling the vet about a refill on our dog's thyroid medication, and talking to the Group Health consulting nurse about the rash my daughters have. The phone call is almost already completely gone. Even now we already know who's calling us so we can decide if we want to answer or not. Remember when caller ID first came out? That was wi-ld. I think it’s good that we'll be able to book everything online, but bad that my hour-long conversations with my cousin Maria will probably slip by the wayside, as we'll be too out of practice to keep the convo up for that long.

7. Thinking, in general. This is also pretty much gone. Even Keeley, my 3½-year-old, who’s basketball-playing abilities were discussed in yesterday’s post, is already starting to realize this. Here’s a snippet from last night’s discussion about the moon (something we talk about at least 10 times a day): "

"What's the moon made of?"— Keeley.

"Ummm rocks and dirt and…stuff…I don't really know..." I trailed off.

"Just look it up, Mom."  Keeley, completely unaccepting of my lame response and exasperated that I hadn't thought of Google already. 

Or, here’s an idea—it’s possible that our kids will have to think even more to set themselves apart from the masses. Everyone will have access to all the Googling they’ve ever desired (plus Internet search methods yet to come), so creative and unique answers will be highly rewarded. 


Obviously, most of these are just little luxuries that I think our kids will get to enjoy. Let's hope the world works first on bigger problems, like maybe war/guns/poverty, but after we overcome those, let’s agree to move on to the list above (preferably starting with laundry). 

OK, this turned out a lot whinier than I planned, but in true Madgespace style, I’m not going to change it. I will attempt to leave things on a high note though (pun intended). Here’s a video from my sister Anna’s birthday party a few nights ago where we set off a Thai lantern. Stick with it and you’ll catch some talk about the moon (ahem, Keeley), a certain dog going to the bathroom on the beach (ahem, Dessie) and lots and lots of tips for getting the lantern to launch (ahem, everybody).

 

Cherrio! 

Francie

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Magnificent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...