Monday, March 9, 2015

A visit to the Amazon

This is exciting. Natalie Orenstein, sister-in-law to the stars, is peeling back the curtain on what really goes on in those giant Amazon warehouses. Turns out, DVDs are still a thing! ESCANDALO!!!

Two weeks ago I spent three days working in one of Amazon’s largest warehouses, or as we call them—fulfillment centers. I learned how to do all steps of the fulfillment process—from receiving products from vendors to packing orders onto the outbound trucks. See photographic evidence below.




The overall experience was amazingthey do public tours there, so this writer from Wired magazine was able to capture the experience in detail. Here are a few of the trip highlights from my perspective:

1) A lot of people still buy DVDs. And I mean a lot. I couldn’t believe how many copies of Friends Season 5 I came across. All you have to do is turn on TBS and you can find it. Throw Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video in the mix and you have all of that on demand as well. But I guess there is something to actually owning the DVD that has still not lost its edge…

2) A desk job it is not. By 10:30 in the morning on my first day, I had already clocked over 13,000 steps on my Fitbit. For comparison, it is now 1:00 in the afternoon, and after rushing from meeting to meeting to picking up my Jimmy Johns from delivery downstairs, I have clocked in a whopping 2,500 steps. Given the start time in the fulfillment center was 7am and I didn’t get going until 9 todaybut still. It is a workout. I spoke to someone who lost 70 pounds in his first three months on the job there.

3) Phoenix is flat. That’s where the fulfillment center is. Even with the pretty desert nighttime sky and warm temperature, I prefer Seattle. Give me rain and mountains any day.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Enjoying all these guests posts but wondering if you'll be back to your usual gig soon?

Nancy said...

Just took s ton of DVDs to Goodwill. Never understood the allure of a DVD library

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...