Sunday, March 8, 2015

Breakfast of Champions

This lady needs no introduction, but since I've done them for all the other guest posts, please put your hands together for Nancy Padden, aka Nadinski Montbrosis, aka Mom Padden!!!!!

I was eating my oatmeal on the early morning Amtrak train a few weeks back when the guy across from me comes back from the club car with his breakfast. Two Bud Lights and a cinnamon roll. You can do that? And why the ‘light’ version? Cutting back? The gal three seats up was working her way through a gallon zip lock bag of oreos and a pepsi. No kale or sunscreen for these two. I was in awe.

Bud Light for breakfast? Image by cyclonebill via Flickr

Made me think of Julie in seventh grade. Puberty was not kind to her; she had giant breasts under her brown wool uniform sweater. One hot spring day she opened the window (not allowed) in our sweltering classroom. Sister Seraphina—the old bag who told us earlier that year “Your President has been shot and he’s dead"—said “Julie, close that window right now and take your sweater off if you’re too hot.” Sure sister, and reveal to all my big breasts and wet stains under my arms? Julie stood up, roared, “F (the whole word) YOU” and fled the classroom. I was in awe.

My friend’s husband goes to bed each night with a Häagen-Dazs ice cream bar in each hand. Think he brushes his teeth?

Live each day as if it were your last has different meaning for this group. Are they unaware or just don’t care? No little voice telling them to get their exercise, eat right or care what others think. Bill Murray in Groundhog’s day. Wouldn’t it be great? Why do I have this little voice I thought as I finished up my oatmeal, and how did they get a free pass?

The doctor recently asked my sister if our 95-year-old mother had gas. She could hardly speak. Anywhere and everywhere, long and loud, my mom announces her presence. Rising from a chair, exiting the car, in the middle of TJ Max, in the restaurant bathroom she lets them rip. Big and reverberant. Wouldn’t it be great?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...