Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cracker aisle glory

I'm sure you're still reeling from Rob Kardashian's latest Instagram post, but take a break from your speculating to read tonight's post.

It's about crackers.

America has a lot wrong with it. Guns. Healthcare. Ill-fitting jeans. But the one thing it does better than any other country in the world: CRACKERS!

In the UK, they don't even have crackers. Well, not really. They have crisps and oatcakes and Ryvita Thins and "savoury biscuits". They  have very buttery, Ritz-style things that are richer than a flourless fudge cake. You can eat a couple, but a plateful will make you ill. And I suppose they have these things called "cream crackers" that are like Saltines minus the salt. They're so flavorless that the Brits butter them. Yep, they spread butter on their crackers in the UK and then they eat them, just like that.

So you can imagine my excitement when I walked down the cracker aisle at QFC today. I felt like Templeton from Charlotte's Web. What a smorgasboard!

  • Triscuits!
  • Wheat Thins!
  • Cheeze-Its!
  • Cheese Nips!
  • Ritz!
  • Saltines!
  • Ak-Maks!
  • Club Crackers!
  • Pita Bites!
  • Goldfish!
The list goes on and on. Also, each of the above has at least two variations, even if it's just a reduced-salt version and a regular version. According to my calculations, there 12 flavors of Goldfish crackers. Count 'em.

  1. Original
  2. Cheddar
  3. Parmesean
  4. Graham
  5. Cheddar Colors
  6. Xtra Cheddar
  7. Wild White Cheddar
  8. Slammin' Sour Cream & Onion
  9. Xplosive Pizza
  10. Burstin' BBQ
  11. Nacho Cheese
  12. Queso Fiesta
Image by Pennybinary via Flickr

If variety is the spice of life, then the cracker aisle is the spiciest place on earth.

And now, for the inevitable question: are you a Triscuit person or a Wheat Thin person? I picked a side a long time ago, but I forget which side I picked. I think  it was Wheat Thins, because they're easier to consume in large quantities. But the truth is, I like them both.

Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...