Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Two Years Later Movie Reviews, Edition 1: Skyfall

Welcome to a new, recurring blog post theme: 'Two Years Later Movie Reviews'.

The title is self-explanatory, but I'll explain it anyway for the sake of making this post longer. Each 'Two Years Later Movie Review' will feature my thoughts on a film that was released around two years ago. Hopefully that makes sense, but if you're still not sure, please don't hesitate to contact me at margareteileenkay@gmail.com.

You've had more than 24 months to watch the film, but just in case: SPOILER ALERT!

The film: Skyfall
The technology: 13-inch 2013 Macbook Air
The venue: Our marital bed

Last Friday, Andy and I needed a fast-paced, easy-to-digest film to watch as we gobbled down our far too easy-to-digest Indian takeaway at a face pace. We chose Skyfall, the James Bond movie from October 2012. Andy had already seen it, but I—despite seeing and enjoying all the other Craig David Daniel Craig 007 films—had somehow missed it.

Firstly, of all the Bond flicks, this one wins the award for best song. Adele's 'Skyfall' is so haunting and beautiful and perfectly suited for a Bond film. I just LOVE it! Also, I've been singing it all week and let me tell you, it has some really challenging vocal jumps. Let's just say I wouldn't pick it for my X Factor audition. #BitPitchyDogg

Now for the plot. Here it is in a nutshell: Bond is old, Bond's boss is old, terrorism is happening online these days, oh no, whatever will we do. Times (and audiences) are changing. They lay this point on pretty thick, but if you're willing to look past it (and you are, because it's a Bond film and you're used to looking past hokiness), the film is quite compelling.

The best part of the film is the end, when Bond takes his boss 'M' to Scotland to await a showdown with the bad guy. They go to Bond's childhood home 'Skyfall', which is filmed in one of the most beautiful places on earth, Glencoe. I went camping in Glencoe this summer with Andy, and I was blown away by how gorgeous it was. Andy also went there with his friend right after the film came out, and they recreated the scene of Bond looking out at the hills.

A woman of the earth washing her face in a babbling brook. 

Andy and pal Bruce in Glencoe. The Aston Martin is photoshopped in. 
Finally, and here's where I give away the ending, so WATCH OUT if you haven't seen it. Dame Judi Dench dies. Yes, James Bond's boss dies and it's so so so so so so so so sad and shocking.

What wasn't shocking was that, in her will, she left Bond a tacky English bulldog paperweight that he had teased her about in an early scene. I saw that coming from a mile away. Andy can vouch for me.

The verdict: Really entertaining, surprisingly sad (I cried) and only medium corny/predictable.

Love,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...