Saturday, November 15, 2014

In too depp

I debated about making Johnny Depp's intoxicated award show speech the subject of tonight's blog. It's wrong to take pleasure, or even just interest, in someone else's pain.

But then I thought, hey, who am I to say the guy has a problem? Really! Who am I to assume that he has some sort of serious issue, just because he did one drunk/high speech at an awards show? If anything, I owe him the benefit of the doubt.

Instead, I'm going to assume he ate one too many amaretto-soaked cherries and give him a pass. Maybe it really was just one of those nights. Let's hope so.


 

This actually brings up a larger issue that I've been going back and forth on for a while now. Celebrities: is it mean to make fun of them? Or is it fine because 1) it was their choice to enter the public eye and 2) they're rich.

Alsosecret option threethey're ridiculous people.

Yikes! Looks like that guy J-Lo used to be married to. The one who sang, "I need to know. I need to know. Tell me baby girl cuz I need to know. I need to know. I need to know. Tell me baby girl cuz I need to know."

Image via micadew via Wikimedia Commons


For the most part, I don't feel bad poking fun at the rich and famous. But sometimes our celeb gossip culture brings out the high horse hypocrite in me. For example, when I think too long about TMZ, I sink into a deep, dystopian depression. Is this really the best us humans can do? Sure, the celebs are awful, but those TMZ folks are THE WORST. And when I see articles about Amanda Bynes being crazy, I feel a bit like: come on, let's give it a rest. 

I actually think this moral conundrum is the reason why I like the Kardashians. They clearly wanted fame for fame's sake, so I can "take the mickey" out of them completely guilt free! It's not like they're brilliant actors who happened to land in a world of paparazzi and red carpets. The only goal they ever had was to be famous. And they totally own their fame whorishness. They wear it with pride. Even when they're upset about how they're portrayed in the public eye, they're only pretending to be upset to create drama for their reality show! It's so wonderfully contrived. We all know where we stand.

Breakdown of the  Kardashian's relationship with the public

Them

  • The trade-off: Being ridiculed and hated by many.
  • The reward: Being mega loaded. 

Us

  • The trade-off: Having to put up with the Kardashian-saturated celebscape. Their photos on every other magazine (and even in a lot of newspapers). Being annoyed that they're so rich for "no reason". 
  • The reward: Getting to make fun of them without feeling bad. 


Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...