Sunday, November 30, 2014

Strawberry candy cane: don't let it happen to you

My ever so thoughtful sistah Char bought me a candy cane at the Christmas tree farm yesterday. My first of the season. Oooh, how exciting!

Just before I sank my teeth into it unleashed my tongue upon it, my phone rang. It was Char.

"Just called to let you know, the candy cane is STRAWBERRY FLAVOURED!"

"What!? Oh christ no."

"I know; I'm so mad. I'm on my way to Sainsbury's right now to try and find normal ones."

Weird. #TheOldenDays
Image via Wikimedia Commons

Seriously, why do we need candy canes in any flavour other than peppermint? That's what a candy cane is. It's a peppermint stick. "Strawberry candy cane" is a non sequitur. Candy canes are by definition peppermint. If they aren't, then it's not a candy cane. And if I wanted a sugary hit of strawberry, I'd suck on a Jolly Rancher.

I've never understood all the varieties of candy cane. Blue ones, orange ones, black ones. Bloody hell. What exactly is going on? Is it just capitalism run amok? Maybe so—but who's the target market!? What kind of new age heathens are buying them? Are you? IS IT YOU?! I hope you're happy.

Serial update

Switching gears, here are a couple of tidbits that have come out during the Serial bye-week that I think you'll find interesting.

Shared by @rabiasquared, on Reddit and elsewhere on the Internet.

Full article here.

That's all for now. Andy and I are having Quorn mini sausage rolls for dinner, on Char's recommendation. We're nervous, but excited.


Cheerio,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...