Sunday, December 21, 2014

Countdown to Christmas: 4 days

Today's Christmas photo


Max as Father Time and me as...Baby New Year? Is that a thing?

Today's Christmas memory

When I was in junior high my mom got herself, Char, Francie and I this great gig working on the Snow Train that ran from Seattle to Leavenworth, which, for all you non-Washingtonians, is a faux Bavarian town on the other side of the mountains.

It was the best deal ever. All we had to do was hand paper cups of hot cocoa and a box lunch to the passengers during the 1.5 hour journey. Maybe we led some carols. I don't really remember. I do remember it being really easy.

Then we would arrive in snowy Leavenworth, all lit up with twinkly lights and smelling of sizzling bratwurst. We'd walk around the neighbourhoods and wonder what it would be like to live there. Leavenworth's awesome at Christmas, but tacky and forgotten the rest of the year.

On the train ride back we didn't have to do anything at all. For a day's work, we would each earn 100 big bones. I don't think I was technically old enough to be working. Was the whole thing done under the table? Hmmm.

I remember thinking, "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this! I should be paying them!" 

Now, although I look back on it fondly, I know I deserved my pay. That's just part of getting older—you realise that, even if you enjoy what you do, you don't work for free. It's called self-worth. And rent. And food. And a Yankee candle addiction.

Today's Christmas gift idea

Metal spider head scratcher! For the ultimate scalp sensation. Remember when I went and bought one mid blog post?

Andy and I apply the scratcher to each other while we watch TV and it never gets old. The other day I saw Khloe Kardashian using one on an episode of Kourtney and Khloe Take the Hamptons, so you know it must be good.

 ---> US shoppers

 ---> UK shoppers


Nollaig Shona Duit,

Margaret

1 comment:

SOS Booster said...

We're here to help you build new holiday traditions with our amazing Virtual Xmas Party ideas! Discover our amazing range of Virtual Christmas celebration ideas for office that are truly unique and engaging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...