Friday, May 8, 2015

The ugly truth about fruit

A year or so ago my dad ruined fruit for me forever. Now I'm going to do the same for you.

He told me that there's no such thing as buying a piece of fruit from the store and waiting a few days to let it 'ripen'. Ripening happens on the vine. Ripening happens when a piece of fruit soaks up a bunch of nutrients from the tree.

When you buy unripe fruit and put it on your counter to get soft, that's ROTTING, not ripening.

He mentioned this to me a while back and I haven't been able to forget it. The man changed fruit for me forever.

I eat berries. Those are picked ripe. But I fear I may never taste a nectarine again. In fact, I have trouble mustering up an appetite for most fruits now. I often have to ask myself 'did I eat any fruit this week?' and then Google the symptoms of scurvy.


To be honest, I don't miss pears. #Mealy 

Speaking of olden-days diseases, what do you reckon you would have died of on the Oregon Trail? I asked myself this question the other day and this is what I concluded:

Dysentery - Definitely not. My bowels tend to swing the other way.

Snake bite - No, I don't think so. I'm far too paranoid and vigilant to let a snake sneak up on me.

Exhaustion - I'm not even convinced this is possible. Die of exhaustion? Sounds like something Lohan would make up.

Cholera - Same answer as dysentery. If you know my health history, then you know I'm not a cholera type of girl.

Drowning after attempting to ford the river - Ding ding ding! You've got a winner! This is definitely how I would have died on the Oregon trail. Rather than doing the smart thing and paying an Indian guide to take me across, or even "caulking the wagon and floating it", I would have been impatient, thrown caution to the wind and just gone for it.

Image via LPArchive.org

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post topic: who would I have eaten first if my family had been in the Donner Party?

TGIF,
Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...