Monday, September 21, 2015

Food trend alert: store-bought PB&Js

I've noticed a new food trend since my move back to America. Store-bought PB&Js. They're everywhere. In the PCC deli. In Starbucks bento boxes. On the menu at your local sandwich joint.

What does this say about our society?
  1. We're that lazy 
  2. We think that nostalgia = good (seen across millennial culture, not just in the culinary world) 
But allow me to step down off my high llama for a second. I love this trend. Heck, I've been singing Uncrustables' praises for years now. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are delicious and, for those rare occasions when curried tempeh just won't cut it, I'm willing to pay $4 for one from PCC.

Image by Evan-Amos via Wikimedia Commons


Some more useful information relating to PB&Js:
  • The first reference of peanut butter paired with jelly on bread to be published in the United States was by Julia Davis Chandler in 1901 in the Boston Cooking-School Magazine of Culinary Science and Domestic Economics. (via Wikipedia)
  • Jam is made from crushed fruit, whereas jelly is made from fruit juice.
  • The average American eats 1,500 PB&Js before the age of 18. (via Thrillist)
  • April 2nd is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day.
  • Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.

I hope we all learned something here today. 

Goodbye,
Margaret

P.S. After its Emmy win, Andy and I decided to start watching 'Veep.' Our verdict? Hilarious. I recommend. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...