Friday, September 11, 2015

Schlafen ist langweilig

Getting the right amount of sleep does a body good. It makes you happier, healthier, smarter, more attractive...

But of course, you already knew that. Studies show that sleep is the best. CEOs all make time for their eight hours. It's old news.

So WHY, then, is staying up late so much fun? WHY, as I'm just about to doze off, do I get the urge to eat pretzels, take a bath and binge-watch Empire? WHY do I get annoyed when Andy suggests we make the nightly migration from couch to bed?

I have a guess: it's boring. Sleep is boring. It feels like giving up on the day. It's wasteful and ridiculous. It's also the definition of 'in between time', and I've never done well with in between time.

Boredom aside, I'm a better person when I'm well rested. I reckon I'll always have to fight my inner insomniac and force myself to do what comes so unnaturally to me: sleep.

Severe yawning? I've had that. Yawns that are so large they hurt your neck veins.

Image by Mikael Häggström via Wikimedia Commons


Honk-shoo,
Margaret

P.S. I do enjoy certain sleeps—the ones where I'm utterly exhausted and fall into a thick, dreamless sleep as soon as my head hits the mattress (pillow thrown on floor in disgust).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...