Sunday, September 6, 2015

Rusty

Below is a descriptive essay I wrote freshman year of college. It's difficult for me to read, as old writing always is. But I figured, hey, it means I get to relax and watch TV instead of coming up with something original to blog about tonight.

Full disclosure: we never called the van 'Rusty'. Creative license.



Margaret Kay
English/Herrick/9:30-10:45
Descriptive Essay

It was a big van. Not one of those 15 seaters that requires a special license to drive, but one big enough to make mini-van drivers feel minute and inferior. Its bench seats could hold all seven of us plus one lucky friend that, not knowing what they were getting into, willingly came along.  We affectionately named it “Rusty” partly because of its burnt orange paint but mainly because of the many patches of brown rust that resided on its exterior. The morning of the semi-annual Seaside, Oregon trip I would hurry down the driveway, slide open Rusty’s thick, dented, and recently “keyed” door, and claim my spot by the window.
            It was the same routine every time. After about 73 minutes of loading the back with duffle bag after duffle bag plus around five of our bikes we squeezed into the van. The seatbelts were a salmon color and about an inch think. They were so ancient and heavy that we had taken to calling them “safety harnesses”. I clicked the dense, shiny metal parts together and tightly squeezed the belt across my lap. Only when all eight clicks had sounded, could we begin our journey. My mom was the driver and the rest of us were the backseat drivers, turning our heads and cringing nervously every time Rusty came within inches of crushing a Honda civic or taking out a parking meter. Once we reached the freeway, though we breathed easier knowing there were less objects to run into. It was also when I first became bored. Yes, the drive had only lasted fifteen minutes but my attention span at age six was about as long as the lifespan of our countless pet goldfish. I stared out the window, but the trees were bent and the cars were smudged blurs of color which made my stomach hurt so I confined my eyeballs to the van’s interior.
            The seats were a blue and orange plaid with little balls of fuzz all over them. I picked them up and made a cotton ball sized clump. Placing the bundle of fluff in between my pointer finger and my thumb I pinched it, clamping down, releasing and repeating. While performing this customary road trip ritual with my right hand, I reached my left hand into the pouch located on the back of the seat in front of me. The pocket was a limitless ravine stuffed to a point far beyond dysfunction. Crammed with Babysitters club books, baseball cards, brain quests, and half-eaten lollypops covered with lent and hair, only the brave and severely bored bothered to reach into the swarming pit. My fingers collided with a bendable item wrapped in plastic and about the length of a pencil. Childish hope drew me to conclude it was a half eaten laffy taffy rope, still partially wrapped and simply forgotten by its previous owner. With a firm tug I pulled it out and to my dismay it was not at all what I’d dreamed it would be. In my hand there lay a string cheese spotted with mold and stamped with “Best by December 19th”. I wasn’t sure of the day’s actual date, but I knew that Christmas had been months ago and the cheese was probably no longer eatable. Disappointed immensely, my gaze meandered toward Rusty’s cloth ceiling. It was off white and the way it drooped reminded me of our tent after a night of camping in the rain. What amazed me most, though, were the amebic brown splotches covering the ceiling’s fabric. Automatically I assumed they were coffee stains caused by lidless mugs full of Starbucks and their simultaneous encounter with a speed bump. Well picturing this fantastic image the car came to a halt and through the air my fuzz ball soared, nestling lightly atop the navy blue carpet and just out of my reach. The clump of lent was joined by other tiny items of clutter , blanketing the van’s floor. There were grimy, greenish pennies, various hair rubber bands and scrunchies, a New Kids on the Block cassette tape, three cue tips, a baby blue, sparkly toothbrush still in its wrapping, around six guitar picks and many other things that had found their way from someone’s jeans pocket to Rusty’s floor. My sister nudged me and said “Come on!” The van had stopped and the misty smell of ocean clung to my nostrils.
            I gathered my walkman, pillow and water bottle in my arms and took the lengthy jump from the van’s edge to the cracked asphalt of the cabin’s driveway. My legs had forgotten their purpose so I flexed them firmly. A satisfying ache jolted through my calf and up into my thigh. I felt my muscles awaken as the elevator of sensation ascended through them. At the deafening slam of the sliding door we walked away from our home of four and a half hours and headed toward the cabin. I glanced back at the beastly machine which was looking pudgy in the Cabin’s narrow driveway. There Rusty would sit for the remainder of our vacation waiting loyally for the return trip home.


Guten nacht, 

Margaret

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...