Monday, October 5, 2015

Solid eavesdropping

It seems I've naturally settled into a gentle Monday through Thursday blogging schedule. Let's go with it and see how things fare.

Andy and I are at the coffee shop today, ordering our two 8oz lattes, when a lady glides in on rollerblades. She approaches another lady—shorter, fatter, no blades—who is waiting by the counter for her coffee.

"You said you'd be here at 12:30!" rollerblades says in a thick Russian accent.

"Sorry! I had to watch my sister's kids!"

"Well you shouldn't say you're going to be here at a certain time and then show up an hour late!"

"I'm sorry! What was I supposed to do?"

We're all listening. The entire, otherwise silent coffee shop. Andy and I make eye contact with the barista. She raises her eyebrows.

This probably seems racially insensitive to you, considering the fact that I'm not even 100% sure they were Russian, but the honest truth is I LOVE these nesting dolls. My parents have a set and I was obsessed with it as a kid. The smallest one was TINY - the size of a grain of rice - and I adored it. That, and the fact that I acknowledge the fact that this could be seen as insensitive, means that it's not.

Image by BrokenSphere via Wikimedia Commons

On our way out, Andy and I pass the two women sitting at an outside table. Rollerblades is eating potato salad out of a tupperware. They're having a conversation in Russian. Things seem to have calmed down. All has been forgiven.

Once out of earshot, Andy and I wonder why they didn't choose to speak in Russian back in the coffee shop.


Cheers,
Margaret

P.S. I'm really into classic Herbal Essences. Not the new fangled, brightly colored ones with cute names (e.g. Hello Hydration), but the old school, straight-out-of-the-'90s Herbal Essences. Try it next time you run out of 'poo and 'tioner. The smell is intoxicating. If you're single, you won't be for long.

P.P.S. Andy drilled a hole in our bookcase for the WiFi router cords to poke through. The router is now disguised as a book. It's a fine achievement.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...