Thursday, October 22, 2009

Re: Revenge

My Mom once told me, "The only way you'll truly feel better is to get revenge."
I must add, she uttered this brilliant assertion while placing a serrated kitchen knife in my small, 11-year-old hand.

The neighbor told me I couldn't climb "his" tree. Something about liability. I was devestated.

"Go slash his tires," she said.

I didn't do it, but would she have stopped me if I had? One might guess her behavior was just some radical parenting tactic- that she was encouraging bad behavior to test my moral decision-making skills.
Not the case.
She actually thought I should slash the neighbor's tires and relish the sweet, toothsome, taste of revenge.

Though revenge can, and usually does, make a situation worse, at times it is appropriate. Perhaps it is not appropriate in the ethical sense, but simply because it's the only possible source of solace in a particular moment. Such moments are so muddled with emotion that a minor outburst of retaliation is suitable.


Haha. Awww, I want it to be Christmas.

Goodnight,

Madge


1 comment:

Nancy said...

He deserved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...