Monday, September 28, 2009

Great Scot!

Ok, time to take a well-earned break from Aquinass's "Summa Theologiae" to blog for you wonderful people.

After my first week in Edinburgh I can safely say, in the words of Fedde Le Grand- I love this city!

(...And for those of you that didn't catch that reference, I was alluding to the stupendous techno song "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit", where they're actually saying "A lovely city" or "Our lovely city" but everyone who's anyone just sings "I love this city...")

Funny things about Edinburgh (first installment):

1.Every homeless person has a dog. Haven't spotted a dogless one yet.

2. It's haunted and everyone knows it--accepts it as part of the scenery. People are much more likely to complain about the weather than the ghosts (who are everywhere...you can FEEL their presence and I swear I can SMELL them...oooooooohhhhhweeeeeee).

3. "Hill-walking" is a hobby.

4. My flat was built in 1690

5. Oatmeal= Porridge (more or less)
Line=Queue
Steamed milk= Hot milk
washing-up= doing the dishes? (still not sure about this one)
trainers= tennis shoes

Things I've googled today:
"emotional after period"
"define: telos"
"calories in a poached egg"
"goat's milk"
"word count"
"watch Mad Men"

SIGHHH. When am I going to de-facebook-friend all of last season's bachelors from "The Bachelorette" who I hastily friend-requested after the "Men Tell All" episode. Now they are monopolizing my news feed. It's tiresome.

Yikes...everything I have written until this point in the post was from LAST WEEK and I just never got around to publishing it. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating- Cyprus ruined me. Once the Mediterranean culture settles in your bones it never really leaves.


OH MY LORD. I just googled image searched "Aquinas" and look what popped up! Poor guy. Do we really know he looked like that? Who decides what pre-camera people are supposed to look like? Or is there a preserved sketch from way back when? Is that hair fo real????

Cheers,

Margaret

2 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I'm digging the fun facts portion of this blog post. Line is really "queue" as in what we call the online list of unmailed DVD's on Netflix? Interesting...

Looking forward to hearing more about these ghosts, I'm kind of a scaredy cat but it sounds intriguing.

EMAR said...

washing up: In room 403 of Coughlin Hall, Rachel and I define it as brushing the teeth and washing the face. Who knows if this transcends the Atlantic?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...